Ice fishing is a great way to get outdoors in the winter, and North Liberty invites the public to fish its stocked ponds year-round. Learn how to take advantage of this fun winter sport at this free event from Take a Kid Outdoors, North Liberty Recreation Department and Johnson County Conservation on Saturday, February 4, 2023. Here’s everything you need to know:
The five Ws
- Who: You! Free and no reservation required. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- What: A day of ice fishing on a local pond.
- Where: Liberty Center Pond, 820 W Cherry St, North Liberty.
- When: Saturday, February 4, 2023, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m
- Why: Get outside and enjoy fishing right here in town during the winter.
What to bring
- warm clothes
- Your fishing rod if you have one, or an ID to check one.
- Fishing license, if you are 16 years of age or older and plan to fish.
- Your dog, if you want. They are welcome as long as they are tied up and you clean them up afterwards.
who will be there
- City of North Liberty with soup and hot cocoa for lunch, while supplies last.
- Johnson County Conservation to provide ice fishing instruction as well as poles and lures
How to get there, where to park and other details
- The Liberty Center Pond is located between Penn and Cherry Streets at 820 W Cherry St.
- Parking is available on residential side streets or at the Community Center, 520 W. Cherry St.
- Skip the car and walk or bike to the event!
- Public restrooms are available in the Community Center.
- This event is weather dependent. Any cancellations or delays will be posted on the Facebook event.
- Share your photos with us by tagging the City of North Liberty on Facebook or Instagram.
- Stay connected with the city by subscribing to the North Liberty Bulletin or signing up for news alerts.
We are committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodations for this event for people with disabilities. If you need accommodation to participate, please contact Micah Ariel James at [email protected] or (319) 626-5755 at least two days before the event.
This free fishing event is just one of over 40 free events on North Liberty’s City Slate. A partnership between city departments and supported by Centro, Inc, The Family Dental Center, The Eastern Iowa Airport – CID, Hills Bank, MidWestOne Bank, Shive-Hattery, South Slope Cooperative, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics Urban Acres Real Estate and Veridian Credit Union, City Slate is a collection of our community’s greatest special events planned by city staff. All slate events are free to attend, and you can check the schedule at northlibertyiowa.org/cityslate.