The Fishing Line  

Go Back   The Fishing Line Forums > Ask The Experts > Ask Rich Johnson

Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator

The "Unofficial" Official Running Saltwater License Thread

I spoke with several people in several departments at the Long Island DEC this morning (9/25) about the saltwater License (SWL) and here is what I have found out.

Supposedly October 1 you WILL need a saltwater license. The cost is $10 with a lifetime license costing you $150…which if you do the math means $10 per year for 15 years...I am 55 already so I am not buying a lifetime license as I can’t wait to get out and leave NY state...perhaps the greatest welfare state in the union next to California. If I was 20 MAYBE…but anyway here are some other numbers for you.

A lifetime freshwater license is $350 but if you buy it after October 1 (when all other NY licenses go into effect) it jumps to $460. You can right now buy a combo Fresh/Saltwater lifetime license for $450 and the same after October 1. This math does not add up does it? Only $100 more for the lifetime saltwater if you buy it with the lifetime freshwater?

I also found illegal immigrants will be able to purchase a license, any NY license, and will be classified as non residents…with no proof of who they are required if they buy over the phone or on line.

I have been informed there is going to be a grace period where DEC officers will be targeting high traffic areas like docks & piers, marinas, popular surf fishing spots like Montauk, Robert Moses etc. and doing “educational” work with pamphlets and literature already printed, for distribution on the license and where you can get your license. They are not going to be writing tickets right away. I have been led to believe by several of my sources inside the DEC and Albany this could be a “generous” and even a “substantial” grace period.

I have also been led to believe by my sources at the DEC, liaisons between the DEC and legislature and my sources in Albany, when the legislature gets back into session in January they may institute a law that says you never needed it in the first place and that the licenses will go into effect on January 1, 2010.

My hunch is DEC law enforcement will have a grace period that lasts till the boats and surf sticks are put away for the 2009 season! Do not quote me on this and do not blame me if they do write you a ticket in November or December, but quite honestly I doubt they will. When you figure the resistance already in place by user groups, the legislature thinking of moving the license requirement (pending legislation) to January anyway and the pressure I am putting on many senators and assembly people to run ALL NY licenses on the same freaking calendar year…I don't think the state knows what to do.

FACT: Right now to set up this separate calendar year for the saltwater license is costing us taxpayers $350,000 or more and it has also caused the delays in the license becoming available.

FACT: How does this all translate to our party & charter boats? They have to or already have, sent in their $400 for their blanket license. What if they never needed it in the first place? Are they paying for three months then paying again $400 for January 1? Will the state in this case credit them for the 3 months they already paid? If so that puts us back at October 1 again anyway. What is the current $250 they pay to the state every year for? Just to have the privilege of operating a charter or party boat in NY State? Let that $250 be their license fee!

FACT:Why are our rental stations like Scotty's, Jacks, Smitty's, Silly Lily and others not allowed to get a "blanket" license like the party boats? Unacceptable! Why do good people always fall through the cracks with our legislators?

However I am convinced with the pressure put on by The Fishing Line and you folks calling the assembly people and senators in your districts, there is some movement to start them January 1…again it is in the hands of your esteemed politicians, the same guys and gals who took 4-1/2 weeks off, deadlocked lawmaking in this state and still got paid for their non-effort!

I am calling for the license to begin with the rest of the licenses in this state which is October 1 of every year…either 2009 (unlikely when out of session) or 2010 or move all licenses to January 1. If you don't have all the licenses in this state aligned then you will never receive a discount for combination licenses like we have now in the hunting and fishing categories.

Will I be buying a saltwater license? I think you can all figure that one out for yourselves.

Call your assembly person and senators NOW! I have and here is what has happened so far as of noon on Friday September 25.

Assemblyman Fred Thiele: I have called a half dozen times over the last 2-1/2 weeks with NO response back. Funny he was willing to return calls when he wanted to come on The Fishing Line radio show back in May to promote he fight against fees on the SWL. Now? Nothing!

Assemblyman Weisenberg: I have called twice and spoke to his office (latest 9/25) and I am waiting on his call back.

Senator Skelos: I spoke with his senior staffer last week and was given quite a bit of time on the phone and was promised they were looking into all of this. I have called three (3) times in the last 48 hours and have not had a return phone call.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:40 AM

The Marine Fishing License (SWL) is now available on line as of today 9-25-09. I haven't tried it myself yet but have heard others say they got them. Supposedly you can get the lifetime license also but it's a little tricky from what I've heard. Something about it's not there at 1st but if you load your cart & then click back to the original choices it will be there. Here is the link.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/28941.html

Last edited by steamboat1; 09-25-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:21 AM

I have been purchasing my NYS hunting/fishing licenses through DECALS since it became available. Once you are in the system, it remembers your last years picks. Since this the first time the Marine Fishing Ripoff, er license is being offered, Bob is right. You have to complete the ID portion first and then go Buy More to see the listing.

Regards------------
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784
Old 09-27-2009, 07:25 PM

I feel like Rip Van Winkle. Do you mean to tell me that if I want to go down to a local dock or pier and throw a snapper line into the water I need to purchase a salt water license? What if I take a little kid, is there an age cutoff?
I'm not that old but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this tax.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:06 PM

Persons 16 years of age and older need to acquire a recreational marine fishing license if they are:
  • fishing in the Marine and Coastal District or
  • fishing any water (such as the Hudson River, Delaware River, or Mohawk River and their tributaries) where the angler is fishing for "migratory fish from the sea" (such as striped bass, American shad, hickory shad, blueback herring, alewife).

Old 10-04-2009, 08:20 AM

Charles, like you, I am completely stumped.
Here is the link about age restrictions.... http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

RJ, does that mean if I hook a fish from the surf or a private boat and hand the rod to my 10 year old I don't need a permit? Also I'd like to confirm if the license is per household or angler?

Tks
Old 10-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Come now....you know and we know it is per angler..what kind of question is that?

As for handing the rod to your 10 year old..is that the example you want to set?? If you are seen holding a rod with a line in the water...you are supposed to have a license

I'm not buying a license, but I don't have any kids that I have "groom" for their life ahead
Old 10-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Aside from the new revenue stream, I think this is just another way of slowing the catch of fish so that they don't have to "reduce" quotas any further and piss anglers off. Although its another cost for our friends running headboats I believe it a plus for them. It takes all the guess work out of fishing with a permit.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:14 PM

Not that its very likely, but what happens if you get stopped by the nowhere to be found when you need them DEC, and you don't have a license?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator

???????????????/
Old 10-04-2009, 07:13 PM

What are the proscribed penalties for fishing without a license?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:29 PM

head from a bait store $250

Old 10-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator

How the hell do they come up with such a severe penalty???
Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM

fines

Called the DEC myself just now. They stated depending on the judge and other factors fines will be as high as 250 bucks. Side note, park police are parking at RMB turning away fisherman without it.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:47 PM

They can't post the DEC at every beach.

PS - I did see a DEC vehicle on the loop parkway early this morning crossing the bridge and turning left into point lookout, NYS is probably paying them O/T.

Last edited by basssman; 10-05-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdcycles View Post
Called the DEC myself just now. They stated depending on the judge and other factors fines will be as high as 250 bucks. Side note, park police are parking at RMB turning away fisherman without it.
They can't do that...you have a right to look at the beach and see what's happening..if you have the state permit you are allowed in those lots
Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 PM

This was at night so im guessing only reason to be there is for fishing
Old 10-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Administrator

still...they can only turn you away if you don't have the night permit for NY Parks
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM

I purchased the lifetime license. I did not purchase one for my wife she does come on the boat with me but often sun baths and reads a book while I fish. I was reading the regulations and had a question, it seems one person fishing is only allowed to fish 2 poles in the water. When I chunk for bass I often fish 4 poles even if I am the only one on the boat according to the regulations ...I guess I am breaking the law??? If I am on the water fishing two poles and my wife is reading her book does she need a license??? If I take a friend on the boat and he is definitely fishing with no fishing license and he does not have an ID with him how do they give him a ticket??? Maybe we should all use the same bogus name and address for this purpose

I just thought of something else Do I still need to buy a CT license??

Last edited by DU410; 10-07-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Administrator

1. NO CT license needed

2. the Two rod rule I thought was only for freshwater...but it is intended to not allow anglers to spread many rods out with the intention you can't manage all those rods for the safety of the fish. They will gut hook themselves if you are not on top of the rod to handle it quickly. I have never heard any one ever getting a ticket for four rods on a boat.