The Fishing Line  

Go Back   The Fishing Line Forums > Ask The Experts > Ask Rich Johnson

Old 10-14-2009, 09:03 AM

licence ?

Any news about the towns that were fighting the while licence thing? Thought yesterday was the deadline for that.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Administrator

we'll find out later today
Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Anyone out there been stopped and asked to produce the license?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:43 PM

I heard they have been checking at moses. I was asked in shinny.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:53 PM

http://www.27east.com/story_detail.cfm?id=240182&town=
Old 10-14-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssman View Post
Anyone out there been stopped and asked to produce the license?

Getting on to gilgo 4x4 sat afternoon there was park police asking for mine. I asked where was the grace period, he just smiled and blew me off.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:46 PM

now ya know so next time he'll ticket ya
Old 10-14-2009, 04:56 PM

lol I should of explained it better.. He didnt give a hoot about a grace period. If you had ya license you were allowed on the beach. No license no fishing.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Administrator

See this is bull****....he cannot keep you from going to the beach...
you need to tell him the DEC is giving a grace period as they issue information not tickets..you heard that from Capt. Tim Huss, Chief ECO of the DEC in Region 1 (LO) on my radio show last week.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:26 PM

During the day he cant keep you from the beach because maybe your not gonna fish. Maybe your just going for a walk. At night its another story. You need a night fishing permit to park after dark. In order to be legal you need both the night fishing and rec. marine licence to fish and park. If you dont have a permit you can get a ticket after dark. If you have the permit and no fishing gear you can get a ticket after dark. As of now you NEED a licence to fish. Like reg. police they can give you a warning, or just be a %$#@ and write you a ticket. Grace period doesnt mean they cant write you a ticket.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdcycles View Post
During the day he cant keep you from the beach because maybe your not gonna fish. Maybe your just going for a walk. At night its another story. You need a night fishing permit to park after dark. In order to be legal you need both the night fishing and rec. marine licence to fish and park. If you dont have a permit you can get a ticket after dark. If you have the permit and no fishing gear you can get a ticket after dark. As of now you NEED a licence to fish. Like reg. police they can give you a warning, or just be a %$#@ and write you a ticket. Grace period doesnt mean they cant write you a ticket.
Nothing says you have to fish on the beach...it says you must have fishing equipment with you...you could be bringing something to someone or simply checking the conditions..
Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
lol I should of explained it better.. He didnt give a hoot about a grace period. If you had ya license you were allowed on the beach. No license no fishing.
I just spoke with George Gorman, the man in charge of Long Island’s State parks, this morning (10/15) at 9:45 a.m. about surfcasters being turned away from Robert Moses and Gilgo by State Park Police for not having a Saltwater License. Here is what I have learned.

1. It happened a time or two going over the RM bridge. It has stopped. Mr. Gorman has gone over this with the State park Police Lieutenant and this has been rectified.

2. It was a “rogue” incident of an office not knowing the situation.

3. If an officer asks you if you have a SWL it is only as an inquiry as to whether info is getting out to the public that we need SWL’s.

4. He is not stopping you from gaining access to these beaches because of the SWL but only if you do not have your state permit.

5. The state park police are NOT writing tickets for the SWL and have no idea really what section or code of law to write the tickets under.

Mr, Gorman has made it very clear to me he has gone over this with the state park police brass and this sort of things has stopped. all the state parks office at 631-669-1000 if this happens to you again so they can keep track.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:13 PM

Another quick question. Do you think we will have to show a saltwater licence in order to get new permits next season?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Administrator

I have no idea
Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM

unless they sell both at the same place ( in my opinion) they shouldn't.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
unless they sell both at the same place ( in my opinion) they shouldn't.
They won't..state parks wants nothing to do with selling licenses...
Old 10-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Ms. Diane McNally, current clerk for the East Hampton Town Trustees will be our guest on The Fishing Line radio show tomorrow Saturday October 17 at 4:15 p.m. to speak about the East Hampton & East End’s injunction against the Saltwater Fishing License. The "Clerk" is similar to the position of president for the Southampton Trustees or the supervisor of a Town Board. Ms.

McNally has been a trustee since 1990 and served as both clerk and assistant clerk in the past as well. She is the first and so far only woman to be nominated by my co-trustees for the Clerk position. Her family has been in East Hampton for 12 generations and her family is avid fishing people so this should be an enlightening interview

Tune in to The Fishing Line Saturdays at 4 p.m. on WGBB 1240AM radio or listen live at www.thefishingline.com
Old 10-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Cuomo refusal buoys LI towns in fishing license lawsuit
October 21, 2009 By BILL BLEYER bill.bleyer@newsday.com

The state's new saltwater fishing license program appeared in trouble Wednesday as New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo refused to represent the state in lawsuits filed by Long Island towns trying to block its implementation.

A day before a scheduled hearing on the litigation, Cuomo notified the State Supreme Court that his office, which normally represents state agencies in litigation, would not handle this case.

His decision means the program needs to be fixed because it's broken and the decision from the state's top law enforcement official means the Department of Environmental Conservation, which is handling the license program, must defend itself in the litigation brought by Southampton, East Hampton and Shelter Island.

In response later Wednesday, DEC spokeswoman Lori Severino said the lawsuit had nothing to do with the implementation system, but centered on the towns' claim they still held exclusive control over fisheries as they had done under colonial laws.

The court temporarily banned implementation of the licenses in three towns pending a hearing on the litigation, which Oyster Bay and Huntington plan to join.

In light of Cuomo's action, the case was adjourned to Nov. 16.

Cuomo said in a statement that "the aims of this law are valid - gathering additional data to help protect and preserve Long Island's saltwater fisheries is essential to their continued livelihood. However, I believe the necessary systems are not in place currently in New York State to ensure fair implementation and enforcement."

Until anglers could be guaranteed easy access to the licenses, "hasty implementation" of the law would only jeopardize fishing communities across Long Island, Cuomo said. "In my opinion, the law should not take effect for several months."

He said fishermen found it difficult to obtain the license through the DEC Web site, a dedicated phone line and 1,450 licensing agents at bait shops and other locations.

Severino responded: "We've been successfully implementing the saltwater fishing license system. Nearly 49,000 licenses have been sold in just three weeks - demonstrating that anglers are taking advantage of it."

Cuomo, who has fished off the East End for years, said in an interview he did not want to substitute his judgment for the state Legislature's on what the licensing scheme should be. But he said it was not advisable to implement the system until the infrastructure was in place to properly administer it.

Joseph Lombardo, Southampton senior assistant town attorney, said "We're hoping that the matter can be resolved. We're open to talking to them."

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) has called for a one-time free registration.

The law requires annual licenses that cost $10 for individuals. Fishing boat owners can buy a license for $400 that covers all of their customers.

Federal law requires states to implement licensing or registration systems by 2010 or go with a federal system that charges higher fees and directs the money to the U.S. Treasury. The fees collected by the DEC cover license processing costs with leftover funds going to fish management programs, Severino said.

Fishing groups welcomed Cuomo's stance. But it's obvious that neither the fish nor the fishermen were considered in this case. This was a cash grab.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:41 PM

What is currently happening?

Hi All,

What is currently happening with opposition to this scam of a license?

I signed Sen. Skelos's petition. Is there more to do to fight this?

I did not get it, nor will I get it this spring, when my boat goes back in. I have followed most of the surf-casters' situations. State park police bugging the south shore guys and all. It's easy for them, because they already know where you park, and where you 4 wheel to.

I am still trying to figure out my neck of the woods, meaning western suffolk, north shore boat fishing.

Who or what departments or agencies are enforcing this travesty? Does the Northport PD Harbor unit enforce this? Does the Town Of Huntington Harbor Master enforce it? Does the Eaton's Neck USCG station enforce it? Does the Village of Ashroken enforce it? Does Suffolk PD Marine unit ( even though we see them about once a year) enforce it? I have NEVER seen a DEC officer in my waters or docks.

Thanks Fellas.

Last edited by krh1326; 01-09-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: more info